SafeStor - General Questions
A: SafeStor is a Software as a Service (SaaS) fully managed solution. Customers data is saved to an UbiStor Tier III or Tier IV data center instead of their own data center. We manage the entire backup infrastructure for customers: vault software, replication processes, management, reporting consoles, storage, and hardware. The full infrastructure is certified for SAS-70 Type II compliance on a regular basis.
A: SafeStor is a simple set-and-forget solution that is up and running in 3 easy steps:
- Install: Customers install a local agent onto the protected machine and configure the backup schedule in a web-based console.
- Seed: An initial snapshot of the data can be seeded over the wire or by using a physical seeding device.
- Backup: Per the configured backup schedule, the agent will capture any changed data since the last backup, compress and encrypt the changes, and securely transfer to the UbiStor data center.
Should the data need to be recovered, UbiStor offers the broadest array of recovery options. See “What recovery options are provided?” FAQ for more details about recovery.
A: Ask questions around price sensitivity, environment (OS, applications, type of data), regulatory requirement (DR, retentions), customization needs, and backup oversight.
- Sample questions to narrow the package:
- What is causing you to seek out an online backup solution?
- What would be the business impact of not adopting a solution?
- What recovery requirements must be met by your chosen solution (RTO, RPO, granularity of recovery, proximity of data)
- What regulatory requirements must you fulfill with your backup solution?
- What are your top selection criteria for a solution?
- What systems and applications need to be protected?
- Who would be responsible for monitoring and managing backups on a daily basis?
|Granular email recovery||Yes||Yes|
|Onsite recovery (appliance)||Yes||Yes|
|Long-term data retention||Yes||Yes|
|Desires full service solution||Yes|
|Desires dedicated infrastructure||Yes|
A: SafeStor is geared towards small to mid-sized businesses and ROBOs with growing data sets, compliance, security needs, and/or heterogeneous computing environments. Target businesses are willing to pay a premium for protection of their more sophisticated IT infrastructure. Many need to meet regulatory requirements for security and data retention, thus need to centrally control data in headquarters in addition to ROBOs. Retentions are customizable from 7 days to years with capability to have different retention per data backup set.
SafeStor Enterprise Solution is geared towards mid to large-sized business with the largest data sets, mature IT infrastructures, and the strongest service requirements. Most require lower recovery time objectives in conjunction with offsite protection. These organizations are looking for everything SaaS provides plus a full service, high quality dedicated infrastructure and support team. Retentions are custom.
SafeStor - Infrastructure and Security
A: It is the result of successfully passing an audit based on the Statement on Auditing Standards, developed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), and recognized internationally. The highest level of SAS 70 certification, Type II, requires an “inside view” including detailed testing of a service organization’s internal practices around security, application development, maintenance, processing, and business continuity plan. The rigor and comprehensiveness of the SAS 70 Type II certification process are why backup service vendors and their customers rely on such audits as industry standard. This assures our customers that the process by which we back up their data has been tested and certified by an independent party. Our proven processes ensure customers’ data is protected and cannot be accessed by anyone but specific individuals within their company who have the appropriate user access—not even UbiStor has visibility into their data.
A: We offer 6 levels of encryption including 256 AES. When the automated backup starts, it builds a 128 AES encrypted tunnel to our infrastructure that resides in a data center with 24 hour guards, man-traps, geometric hand scanners and certified security processes with personal access. Data at rest remains in an encrypted state at all times and only the client has the ability to restore data.
SafeStor - Customers
A: We have over 28,000 customers using the technology today worldwide.
SafeStor - Technology
A: We provide flexible retentions based on a customer needs: 7 days, 30 days, 30 days + 11 monthly backups, as well as custom retentions which are set by the customer. Retentions can also be configured per backup data set. Customers choose a SaaS package with retentions that meet their needs.
A: We provide multiple recovery options:
- File/Folder Recovery: Customers can recover data online by simply going to a web interface and selecting the backup set they want to recover.
- System Recovery: Customers can use SafeStor System Restore to quickly recover an unusable system after catastrophic failure. In just minutes, customers initiate recovery of a system onto similar hardware, dissimilar hardware, or a virtual machine. It integrates seamlessly with SafeStor backups, and can restore both system and data in a single pass. Customers get a unified solution that eliminates the need for multiple backups and dramatically reduces downtime.
- Large Amount of Data Recovery: Customers can use UbiStor Data Transfer Services to transfer data to or from an UbiStor data center. This service enables customers to seed or recover data more quickly than over the internet using rented storage appliances.
- Onsite Recovery: Customers can use the Express Recovery Appliance. The appliance is a pre-configured storage appliance for customers to install as a local storage device (or vault) in remote and branch offices. It provides customers with LAN-speed backups and restores in addition to offsite disaster recovery protection.
- Site Recovery: For a complete site outage, we provide the Remote Virtual Disaster Recovery (VDR). VDR is a hosted service to help customers quickly recover key servers and data after a site disaster, and remotely access them in a secure virtual environment.
A: Yes, data is encrypted end-to-end. Only a customer with the encryption password can decrypt data. UbiStor does NOT have access to customer data. Data can be encrypted during backups using a number of encryption algorithms, including the highest level of encryption, 256 AES. Data can also be encrypted in transit, using 128-bit encryption.
A: Customers pay a monthly subscription fee based on the following:
- Contracted service
- Length of agreement
- Amount of committed GB/TB
- Retention scheme
A: It depends on the service.
- For SafeStor, all agents are included in the monthly subscription but plug-ins, System Restore and SafeStor Real Time Protection are additional.
- For SafeStor Enterprise, customers are charged an up-front fee for director, agents and plug-ins software. Financing options are available to achieve a set monthly fee over a term.
A: UbiStor SafeStor unique strengths are:
Best of breed technology that grows with customers
- Comprehensive product line based on an integrated SafeStor platform – as companies expand, our data protection technology expands with them.
- Powerful and easy to understand; they work painlessly for over 28,000 customers.
Focus on data recovery, not just backup
- Products, customer service, infrastructure prepared for the unexpected and designed to give customers seamless recovery.
- Offer many options for recovering customer data, based on their unique needs.
- Perform over 10,000 recoveries per month
Secure, reliable data protection infrastructure
- Our lights are always on, managing nearly 1 petabyte of data in our ecosystem within Tier 3 and 4 Top-Tier Data Centers, with SAS 70 and NIST Certified AES Encryption.
Optimized performance, via end to end compression and data de-duplication.
- Single, integrated, optimized high performance solution - using DeltaPro technology for front end incremental backups, compression and encryption in flight and at rest, and back-end data de-duplication
World class customer support
- Reach live support experts by phone whenever you need help, 24/7
- Tiered support staff of highly trained experts
- Managed Service, Professional Service teams help customers build, test and execute their data protection strategy.
- Almost 100% customer satisfaction
Trusted: Credibility, longevity, brand
- Trusted experts for over 28,000 customers
- Less than 1% customer attrition
- We provide a building block approach to disaster recovery and business continuity. Starting with data protection, then virtual DR to full hosting.
- All data is not the same – we ensure the proper solutions are put in place based upon data classification
All applications are not the same – we ensure the proper solutions are put in place based upon recovery time objectivesFinancial Flexibility
- For SafeStor we provide SaaS pay as you go model
- For SafeStor Enterprise Solutions we provide options for capital purchase, lease or utility financial models.
A. Yes. On the front-end, after an initial seed backup, our Delta Pro technology only sends changed or new blocks of data within files to storage. The product then further compresses the data before being sent to the secure server. We further reduce data in storage by eliminating duplicate blocks of data within backup jobs. Together, these technologies significantly reduce backup windows by minimizing the amount of data sent into storage and also reduce storage footprints.
SafeStor - Competition
A: In the past year, it’s been all about the cloud. Traditional backup software vendors are announcing cloud products. But we compete most directly with online backup providers including Barracuda Backup Service, Iron Mountain Digital, EMC Mozy, and Asigra MSPs.
SafeStor Endpoint - General Questions
A: Protect data on all your machines: from Windows, Linux, UNIX, and VMware servers; to Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server and Exchange applications; to Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Macintosh platforms.
A: You and your staff can easily configure and centrally manage all backup, recovery, and security policies—including bandwidth throttling, encryption, port access controls, and remote data deletion—via the product’s web-based dashboard. And granular controls enable you to configure policies by device, user ID, or user role, and can be delegated to a trusted user.
A: Global deduplication ensures each data block is backed up only once, even if the same file resides on 1,000 PCs. Along with data compression, global deduplication minimizes bandwidth usage, shrinks backup windows, and reduces the storage footprint. Recoveries are faster too, because end users restore only changed blocks, not whole files.
A: TCP/IP device tracing identifies the IP address of a laptop in communication with the backup server. It’s simple: Just turn on trace capabilities at the SafeStor Endpoint Protection Server, which keeps a history and routes trace information. Device tracing effectively deters on-the-job theft—very few employees steal PCs they know can be traced—and enables law enforcement to find machines as soon as they come online.
A: State-of-the-art encryption locks out prying eyes for files at rest on the hard drive. Files that are backed up are encrypted automatically using FIPS 140-2 standard, to ensure compliance with regulatory mandates.
Port access controls can be used to shut down data leakage by determining who’s allowed to copy what. You can also verify access rights through the product’s policy engine, grant read or write access. You can completely lock down a port, depending on the port type—and control virtually every type of plug-in media: USB drives, CDs and DVDs, serial and parallel ports, Bluetooth devices, floppy disk and tape drives, FireWire and iSCSI devices, and more.
You will be alerted if anyone attempts to tamper with your port access controls.
Remote data deletion wipes lost or stolen laptops clean by permanently “shredding” the data, either on-demand or via a time-based trigger. You can shred the data confidently, knowing a full, current backup copy is stored and easily accessible.
A: Imagine that a laptop is lost, stolen or destroyed. The risk here is data could get into the hands of the wrong people, putting business information at risk and exposing business to potential regulatory violations or public exposure. In addition, the end user is left with a few days at best of limited productivity, as IT has to restore what is available onto an alternative system. With SafeStor Endpoint Protection, all the data that resides on that system can be restored from the cloud onto an alternate device, allowing for true business continuity.
A: SafeStor Endpoint Protection works even when PCs are offline. Data backed to the local drive, automatically transmits to the cloud the next time it connects to the network. By doing so, data is automatically backed up to the UbiStor Cloud, providing disaster protection and peace of mind.
A: Users can recover their own files in no time, using the product’s simple interface, without involving the Help Desk. This allows for end user independence; no need to wait on a help desk ticket to recover files to be productive again.
A: SafeStor Endpoint Protection is cloud-connected, for automatic backup to the UbiStor cloud that is easy for end users to use and provides peace of mind to organizations. SafeStor Endpoint Protection delivers “silent,” continuous protection; simple, self-directed restores; and cloud-connected backup that stores data both locally and in the cloud. That means end users can continue working while their data is being backed up in the background.
A: SafeStor Endpoint Protection is an integrated desktop/laptop backup, recovery and data security solution that helps control data across mobile workforces. This solution protects corporate data exposure when PCs are lost or stolen.
A: MailStor provides role based web access to the console. By default every user can access their emails but Administrator can assign access to certain users to access others emails.
A. MailStor can export search results to PST, EML, HTML or MSG formats.
A: MailStor extracts emails from Microsoft journal mailbox and archives to the MailStor Archive Stores.
A: Emails are encrypted, digitally signed and compressed before getting sent to the MailStor Server.
A: Exchange 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010 both Standard and Enterprise in normal and clustered environment.
A: Currently MailStor archive emails from Microsoft Exchange Servers and offline PSTs.
A: MailStor uses Microsoft SQL Server to create Archive Stores in the form of SQL Server databases. Native SQL tools can be used to backup SQL Server databases or MailStor SQL solution from MailStor can be used to backup / restore MailStor Archive Stores.
A: MailStor is well protected and no user has access to it. Only the administrator who knows the credentials can login to the MailStor solution from the back end. Even if administrator tries to update or delete any record then original message is saved; activity is logged and shows up in the tempered report and email notification is generated.
A: These policies can defined on an Exchange Serve, AD distribution group and individual user level. Even custom criteria on an email level can be defined using any condition but not limited to sender, recipients, date, keyword, message body etc.
A: Put all PSTs on any one folder on MailStor; launch PST Utility and specify that folder. The rest will be done automatically by the utility. There are no complicated steps.